Symptoms of Acidosis and Natural Treatment Options
Symptoms of Acidosis and Natural Treatment Options
Acidosis is a condition which occurs when the pH of blood and tissue drops below 7.35. During acidosis, your cells cannot function properly and may even die because their acid content is too high.
The typical Western diet – with foods like white bread, pastries, crackers, crisps, meat, dairy and fast food, not to mention alcohol and soft drinks – can cause acidosis. Stress and lack of exercise also contribute.
Read on to learn about symptoms of acidosis – and the wholly natural treatment options available.
The Symptoms of Acidosis
The First Signs
The first symptoms of acidosis are so common that most of us assume they are part of our body’s normal functioning.
These include mild headaches, heartburn, lack of energy, low mood, stress, allergies, light coughing, colds, dry skin, slight joint and muscle pain, and so forth.
Only after switching to a healthy diet, and the symptoms disappearing, do most people realise they had such complaints in the first place. These are the body’s first warnings that its acidic cells are not functioning properly.
More Ominous Signs
Acidity causes all cells in the body to function poorly. For example, cancer cells are highly acidic and grow abnormally; acidic blood cells cannot transport enough nutrients and oxygen; white cells cannot fight off diseases, and so forth.
The symptoms are almost limitless and depend on the cells that are most affected.
Respiratory & Lactic Acidosis
This occurs when your lungs cannot keep up with the removal of the acidic carbon dioxide that is produced when your cells breathe. It means that some of this acid builds up in your body, causing the symptoms listed above.
A mild chronic version occurs when you do not breathe deeply enough. Shallow breathing is relatively common and can easily be combated by adopting new breathing habits.
Diabetes, cancer, dehydration, alcohol toxicity, some drugs, excessive exercise, and some other conditions hamper your cells’ ability to obtain oxygen to convert glucose into energy.
The backup process, whereby the body can create emergency energy, leads to a build-up of lactate and hydrogen cations in the blood, ultimately resulting in such extreme acidosis that you will experience nausea, vomiting, extreme muscle weakness, joint and bone pain, rapid breathing, heart palpitations, and irregular pulse.
If left untreated, this condition is fatal. Many of the conditions that cause lactic acidosis are lifestyle-related and, thus, preventable.
This occurs when the acid in your body overwhelms your kidneys’ ability to remove it in your urine – which is quite likely when your body’s acid content is too high.
Excessive body acidity can also cause your kidneys to excrete alkaline bicarbonates in your urine, instead of re-absorbing.
The symptoms of renal acidosis include decreased alertness and confusion, fatigue, impaired growth, rapid breathing, kidney stones, softening of the bones, increased or irregular pulse, and muscle weakness.
If your body cannot excrete acidic toxins, they will remain in your bloodstream and eventually be stored as masses of toxic fat.
Diabetes and its milder cousin, metabolic syndrome, cause your body to burn fat instead of glucose for energy, because there is not enough insulin to process the glucose.
The breakdown of fat produces ketones that then build up in the body.
Diabetic acidosis can also occur as a result of low-carb diets, when the body is not fed any carbohydrates (or glucose) to burn for energy.
The symptoms include lethargy, fatigue, rapid breathing, dry skin and mouth, thirst, frequent urination, headache, muscle pain, stomach pain, nausea and vomiting. Diabetics will recognise these as their most common symptoms.
Drink Alkaline Water
Purchase an alkaline water filter to elevate the pH of your tap water. If you think about the amount of water you drink – in diluting juice, in tea and coffee, in cooking – this can make a massive difference.
- If you want something cost-effective and portable, you can choose between the Biocera Alkaline Jug, the AHA Water Bottle or the the Alkalising Antioxidant Teabag. These are suitable to take to work, use in the car or take on holiday. They’re also perfect for alkalising your water in the gym.
- If you’re after something more advanced – a system that filters contaminants (bacteria, hormones, fluoride, chlorine, chloramine) from the water as well as increasing its alkalinity – you should consider an under-sink unit such as the Energy Plus Water Filter.
Use Alkalising Supplements
The main alkaline minerals are potassium, magnesium, calcium and sodium. If you suffer from some of the aforementioned symptoms, any of these supplements will boost your body’s pH level.
- AlkaMax contains perfect quantities of sodium bicarbonate, potassium bicarbonate, sodium citrate, magnesium carbonate, potassium citrate and colloidal silica to increase your body’s pH. Just add a teaspoon to a glass of water and you’re set to go.
- pHAlo capsules are equally easy to take; they were developed by physicians who wanted to pioneer a product which helped the body heal itself more effectively.
- Deep Ocean Alkaline Salt Capsules from Progurt are perfect for those following an alkaline diet. They are similar to natural sea salt, with a few key differences: they are lower in sodium chloride but higher in the chlorides of magnesium, potassium and calcium. With a high pH of 10.3, the vegan-friendly capsules help optimise stomach acid/alkali levels to better maintain an alkaline state.
Don’t Ignore the Symptoms of Acidosis
Listen to your body. If it’s always tired, aching and moody, these warning signs could be symptoms of acidosis.
If you ignore the symptoms while they’re mild, they will almost certainly intensify.
As you can see, there are many simple and effective natural solutions to excess acidity for you to try out. Implement the necessary changes and the improvements will be obvious.
If you are concerned about your body pH, pick up a pack of pH Test Strips. These will allow you to determine the pH of both urine and saliva, and thus give a better indication of your acid-alkaline balance.
Water for Health Ltd began trading in 2007 with the goal of positively affecting the lives of many. We still retain that mission because we believe that proper hydration and nutrition can make a massive difference to people’s health and quality of life. Click here to find out more.