In his book, The Alkaline Cure, Dr Stephan Domenig sets out a list of symptoms that the body is too acidic. The book then goes on to give a 14 day diet protocol and a number of alkalising recipes. Symptoms of acidity include constipation and bloating; lack of energy and focus; weight problems; poor complexion and dry, dull, lifeless skin' gum disease and much more.
The following are his list of symptoms of excess acidity:
- Constipation and bloating: Both are caused by eating too fast, too much and /or overly acidic meals.
- Lack Of energy and focus: Acid depletes blood oxygen availability and you feel sluggish as your brain and systems are deprived of this vital element.
- Weight problems: Being overweight suggests that your diet is incompatible with your body’s ability to deal with the food it’s given.
- Poor complexion and dry, dull, lifeless skin: Excess acid is eliminated through the skin, causing skin damage and inflammation.
- Gum disease, tooth decay and bad breath: These can be directly related to a high-acid diet, which allows bacteria to develop much more quickly than would occur with an alkaline diet.
- Frequent colds and flu: When the body is not being fed the right foods and the flora of the stomach changes, a weak immune system is likely to result.
- Muscle and joint pains: Inflammation can be a sign that the alkaline minerals in your bones and muscles are being extracted to neutralise acidity. Particular acids, like arachidonic acid, which is found in red meat, also trigger inflammation.
Adopting a better balanced more alkaline diet will help to overcome these unpleasant symptoms of over acidity, but will more importantly help slow down the aging process. DR Domenig’s book is a great reference for anyone contemplating adopting a more alkaline diet and lifestyle.