Everything You Need To Know About Anamu
Everything You Need To Know About Anamu
If you haven't already heard of the Anamu plant, you're in for a treat! Anamu, also known as “Guinea Henweed” and scientifically known as Petiveria Alliacea - Is a flowering herbaceous plant that has long been used in traditional medicine.
This plant provides high levels of dibenzyl trisulphide (DTS) … an organic sulphur compound that may aid the immune system. Sulphur amino acids in anamu don't just boost immune health. They play an important role as an antioxidant. And interestingly, it tastes a lot like garlic Which is rich in various forms of sulphur
What makes this plant so special? What is anamu used for? And how can you use it to improve your health? Let's take a closer look…
What is Anamu, and Why Should You Buy It?
Anamu is a natural herb that helps the body absorb nutrients in foods, and thus become more energetic. Native to warmer tropical climates, like the Caribbean, Anamu is loaded with vitamins, enzymes, amino acids, minerals and natural substances that are not commonly found in food. Anamu will make you feel full without eating much more than a normal meal.
Anamu is also thought to help fight chronic diseases like high blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol and digestive problems. And has been used in folk medicine for centuries. It may also help boost immunity and strengthen the nervous system. Anamu has no side effects because it’s completely natural and does not contain any drugs or chemicals. Hence, you can use it freely…
The Anamu Plant: A Miraculous Healer
In Peru, Anamu is called “Apacin,” which means “to chase away evil spirits." In Brazil, the herb is known as "Erva Tojo" or "Guine." In Spanish-speaking countries, it is called “Ganonigo” or “Hierba de las Brujas” because it was believed witches used it to cast spells on people. Crazy right? The Anamu plant has long been used for medicinal purposes by the indigenous people of Latin America and Africa.
It has also been used as an herbal remedy for cancer in China. Anamu contains ingredients that are antiviral, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic. The plant's most active ingredient is sulphur, which is one of the most important elements necessary for human life. It also contains phytochemicals called allylbenzenes (eugenol, anethole and methyl chavicol) that work together to provide the plant's health benefits.Related: The Power of Antioxidants: Glutathione, Vitamins, Molecular Hydrogen
7 Science-Backed Benefits of AnamuThere have been a wide variety of studies carried out that have looked at the potential benefits of consuming anamu. Many of the studies have been carried out in animal models. Therefore, human studies are required to verify these benefits. Here’s a list of the possible health benefits and studies for you to check out:-
1. Antimicrobial and antifungalIt’s thought that the high levels of sulphur in anamu produce the antimicrobial and antifungal properties. Anamu contains a whopping 18 sulphur compounds and these are particularly concentrated in the roots. The sulphur compounds of significance are benzyl-containing thiosulfinates.
2. Potential immunity boosterThere aren't many studies on the immune boosting properties of anamu. But it’s safe to say that if it can help remove blockages like free radicals, cancers or inflammation, that the immune system will also be enhanced. One test tube study has shown that anamu has possible immune boosting effects.
3. Reduced signs of anxietyThere are a few studies that show the brain benefits of anamu. This obviously impacts behavioural issues such as anxiety. One study in rats confirmed this to be the case. Another study in mice found that anamu had a slight sedative effect.
4. Antioxidant PropertiesBecause of the compounds like sulphur, coumarins, triterpenes and flavonoids, anamu provides natural antioxidant properties. Free radicals created by toxins or metabolic waste can contribute to chronic illnesses. Therefore it’s important that we consume enough antioxidant rich foods (and water) to ensure that your body can flush out free radicals.
5. Anti-inflammatory/ painkillerThis is important as many chronic illnesses are associated with inflammation. Which makes sense as pain and illness is basically a break in the internal communication within the body. Inflammation blocks the natural flow of energy and thus can contribute to illnesses like diabetes, multiple sclerosis and other age-related diseases.
6. Enhanced Mental PerformanceA few studies carried out on rodents have found that eating anamu leaves can have positive effects on behaviour and mental performance. One study in rats discovered that it had antidepressant properties. Another rat study concluded that consuming anamu could improve learning and long term memory.
7. Anti- cancer properties
Some studies have been carried out in test tubes and discovered that anamu can kill cancer cells. Notably small lung, pancreatic, breast, and prostate cancer cells. This is in alignment with many traditional folk medicine traditions. Another study found that cell growth was interrupted and stalled with the application of anamu (also known as petiveria alliacea).Related: Does Drinking Water Help Boost Your Immune System?
How to Get Started With Anamu
It’s important to note that children, pregnant women and lactating mothers shouldn’t consume anamu. Simply due to the lack of studies carried out. The suggested dose is two capsules per day. It’s advisable to stick within these guidelines as some people have reported feeling drowsy after consuming too much anamu.
We often think just because it’s natural, then it’s fine to consume a lot. Rather, it's a good idea to be steady and consistent when it comes to switching up your daily routines. Natural medicine can be powerful and should be fully respected.Related: What Vitamins Should You Take to Boost Your Immune System?
Anamu has some amazing properties that are backed by animal studies and traditional herbal medicine.
As with everything in life, there are no quick fixes. At least none that have lasting benefits. We must strive to develop a lifestyle that gradually enhances our wellbeing. Anamu has some amazing properties that are backed by animal studies and traditional herbal medicine. If you’re looking to boost your health Anamu could be perfect for you.
Written by best-selling author and integrative nutrition health coach Rowanna Watson, who has a passion for natural health. Rowanna is an expert in all areas of holistic health, plant-based nutrition, detoxification and personal development.
Water for Health Ltd began trading in 2007 with the goal of positively affecting the lives of many. We still retain that mission because we believe that proper hydration and nutrition can make a massive difference to people’s health and quality of life. Click here to find out more.