The Surprising Health Benefits of Gigartina Red Marine Algae
The Surprising Health Benefits of Gigartina Red Marine Algae
Before the 19th century people knew about the natural healing properties of plants. Yet, since the industrial revolution we’ve all-but lost this incredible link to nature.
Gigartina red marine algae is one of the wonder plants that can impact all areas of health.
The scientific name for red algae is Gigartina teedii or Rhodophyta. Gigartina was discovered in Portugal back in the 19th century. Later it was found in the UK, specifically in Devon and Cornwall Fast forward to 2022, and we now know the many health benefits of red algae. Hence, much attention is now given to this magnificent plant.
In this article, we’ll explore the many health benefits of red algae. More importantly, you’ll learn how to incorporate it as part of your daily routine.
What is Gigartina Red Algae?
Gigartina red algae is a type of seaweed. Red algae and seaweed is regularly consumed via the diet in both Japanese and Chinese cultures. The therapeutic properties of red algae are mainly ascribed to it containing sulphated polysaccharides (SP). Red algae is particularly rich in bioactive polysaccharides. Over the past decade scientists that work in regenerative medicine and tissue engineering have researched red algae for its wide array of health benefits. Red algae has few side effects and offers a myriad of health benefits.
The Health Benefits of Algae
1. Can Boost Hair Length & StrengthRed algae can seriously boost hair health. Not only does it contain healthy fats like Omega-3 and omega-6 that can strengthen hair, it also helps your hair stay clean. One reason that people experience hair loss is because fungal or yeast infections can impact your hair's ability to grow at the follicle level. Fungal infections are prevalent, and can affect people who have weak immune systems the most. In fact, it’s estimated that over 1 billion people worldwide have a fungal infection at any one time.
2. May Aid in Weight LossThere are a few reasons that red algae can help with weight loss. Firstly, algae can help you feel fuller for longer. This reduction in appetite can turn into weight loss. It’s the fibre in the algae that helps food travel through your digestive system faster. Some studies have found that this can lower body mass index (BMI). Red algae has also been found to reduce body fat accumulation. Encouraging your body to break down and burn stored fat.
3. Helps Ward of Chronic DiseaseChronic disease, and ageing is characterised by oxidative stress. Meaning the body's ability to detox is lessened. Currently over 15 million people have chronic diseases in England. That’s more than a quarter of the population! In more deprived groups, the amount of people with chronic disease is a whopping 60%. The good news is that red algae is bursting with antioxidants that help the body detox, in turn reducing oxidative stress. Interestingly, although you can eat a diet rich in antioxidants, many people don’t. Giving rise to pharmaceuticals being created that contain the metabolites that you can find in red algae. Like iodine, carotene, glycerol, alginates and carraghenanes.
4. Skin Clarification and CleansingRed algae is great for the skin, thanks to the wide range of vitamins and minerals it contains. Also red algae has moisture retaining properties, creating smoother and softer skin. Because of the high quantity of antioxidants (namely vitamin C), red algae is great for cleansing and clarifying your skin. Uneven skin tone can be balanced by adding red algae thanks to its ability to scavenge free radicals. Red algae can be consumed internally or applied topically. Ideally you do both to thoroughly boost the glow of your skin.
5. Antiviral PotentialOne of the most exciting properties of red algae is its ability to protect your cells against viral attack. This is thought to be brought about because of the polysaccharides in red algae. Polysaccharides are known to be antiviral. It’s thought that these compounds make it hard for viruses to bind to cells. Algal Galactans are thought to be the most potent antiviral agents.
Learn more: Red Marine Algae for HPV and Other Viruses
Red Marine Algae
Gigartina Red Marine Algae Dosage & Side Effects
One of the main things that you should look out for when adding algae to your diet is ensuring you don’t take too much. Also if you have a history of gut inflammation, it might be a good idea to have a chat with your healthcare provider. The prebiotics in algae are beneficial for gut health, but too much of a good thing inevitably turns bad. The current advice is around 4g algae per day doesn’t pose any health risk. Consistency and balance is the key to optimal health.
How to Use Gigartina Red Algae
Gigartina red algae can be found in both tablet and serum form. If you’re looking to boost your skin health, it may be a good idea to use both. However, if you want to lose weight or boost your metabolism then you might want to stick with the tablets. The recommended dose of tablets is 2 per day on an empty stomach. However, if you’re pregnant or breastfeeding, then it’s advisable to double check with your healthcare provider.
Gigartina red algae offers a wide range of health benefits.
Gigartina red algae is an exciting plant-based nutrient that offers a wide range of health benefits. From boosting skin and hair health to warding off chronic disease. It’s vegan friendly as algae is a water based plant. To optimise the health benefits of red algae, consume consistently as part of your daily routine, ideally on an empty stomach.
Written by best-selling author and integrative nutrition health coach Rowanna Watson, who has a passion for natural health. Rowanna is an expert in all areas of holistic health, plant-based nutrition, detoxification and personal development.
Water for Health Ltd began trading in 2007 with the goal of positively affecting the lives of many. We still retain that mission because we believe that proper hydration and nutrition can make a massive difference to people’s health and quality of life. Click here to find out more.